Saturday 10 May 2014

Separating Clauses

Separating Clauses

In this exercise you will be presented with a sentence punctuated in different ways. You will have to decide which of the alternatives is punctuated correctly. This exercise tests your understanding of colons, semi-colons and commas.
1
a)Steve always went to watch football: he loved the atmosphere at the games.
b)Steve always went to watch football, he loved the atmosphere at the games.
c)Steve always went to watch football; he loved the atmosphere at the games.
Correct. The two clauses are independent and can be connected by a semi-colon.
Check your answer
2
a)I love eating; eggs, bacon, cheese and toast.
b)I love eating eggs bacon cheese and toast.
c)I love eating eggs, bacon, cheese and toast.
Fantastic. No colon needed here, but commas are required.
Check your answer
3
a)These are my favourite countries; Spain Hungary India and Greece.
b)These are my favourite countries: Spain, Hungary, India and Greece.
c)These are my favourite countries: Spain Hungary India and Greece.
Well done. You can use a colon to introduce the list and then commas to separate the elements.
Check your answer
4
a)As the sun was rising. Steve was getting into bed.
b)As the sun was rising, Steve was getting into bed.
c)As the sun was rising; Steve was getting into bed.
Correct. Use the comma to set off an introductory phrase.
Check your answer
5
a)I love writing; English was always my favourite subject.
b)I love writing English; was always my favourite subject.
c)I love writing, English was always my favourite subject.
Well done. You can use a semi-colon to connect two related and independent clauses.
Check your answer
6
a)My old boss used to say: 'Chin up lad.'
b)My old boss used to say; 'Chin up lad.'
c)My old boss used to say, 'Chin up lad.'
Well done. Use a comma to separate direct speech from the rest of the sentence.
Check your answer
7
a)Paul hates anything technical so, he never turns his computer on.
b)Paul hates anything technical, so he never turns his computer on.
c)Paul hates anything technical; so he never turns his computer on.
Well done. You need a comma before a co-ordinating conjunction like so.
Check your answer
8
a)Jill Paul's wife was kind, generous, clever and a fantastic cook.
b)Jill, Paul's wife, was kind generous clever and a fantastic cook.
c)Jill, Paul's wife, was kind, generous, clever and a fantastic cook.
Well done. You need commas to set off the parenthetical phrase and to separate the elements in the list.
Check your answer
9
a)I love travelling: Spain, India, Thailand and Hungary are my favourite countries.
b)I love travelling Spain, India, Thailand and Hungary are my favourite countries.
c)I love travelling; Spain, India, Thailand and Hungary are my favourite countries.
You can use a semicolon to separate the clauses and commas to separate the elements in the list.
Check your answer
10
a)"I love it here," he said. "It's so peaceful."
b)"I love it here," he said, It's so peaceful."
c)"I love it here" he said "It's so peaceful."
Well done. You have used a full stop and avoided the comma splice.
Check your answer

See a list of ot

No comments:

Post a Comment